Multi-User Devices allow an administrator to provision devices intended to be used by more than one user. A tool for Multi-User Devices is Device Enrollment Manager (short DEM).
DEM is an Intune permission that can be applied to an Azure Active Directory user account and lets the user enroll up to 1,000 devices. A DEM account is useful for scenarios where devices are enrolled and prepared before handing them out to the users of the devices.
Devices enrolled by DEM accounts need to be licensed. Therefore, each DEM account needs an Intune user or device license assigned.
- Enterprise Mobility + Security (user license) or
- A simple device license
Before you can start with a device enrollment you have to do some preparations.
Create a generic user account that is not assigned to a real person. Please make sure that this account never gets deleted. In that case, enrolled devices will not stay under management anymore. Assign a suitable Intune license as described before.
A new user group is necessary that contains all DEM users. Ad one (e.g. CFG - All multi-user device accounts DEM) and assign the previously created user.
In Intune the following actions are necessary for that group:
- Assign compliance policies and device configurations (that should apply for these devices)
- Assign Intune distributed apps (e. g. RealmJoin Installer)
- Check if DEM group can enroll and register new devices in Tune/Azure AD (e. g. enrollment restrictions and Azure AD Join)
The following steps must be done in RealmJoin
- Add RealmJoin configuration policies to that group
- Add Software packages (that should be installed when the device is set up by DEM account)
- Let Glück & Kanja mark this group as Primary Users (obtain Azure AD Object ID)
A new and clean device will be set up with the DEM user account created before:
Depending on configuration second factor authentication will be enforced:
Device enrollment and provisioning will start:
Prompt for Windows Hello setup appears (depending on configuration):
After that, RealmJoin will start and install the defined set of software for the DEM account:
When logging in via DEM account (primary user) the software should be installed:
Secondary users are now able to log in::
Software assigned and installed by DEM account should be available
Additional software can be installed by this secondary user (see Software Packages):